Has tourist season already got the best of me?

Just a couple retail lessons I need to get off my chest. Not that I think any of you do this stuff, I just need to vent (tourist season is definitely here).

  • You really, really don't need to unfold every shirt you see. And when you're done with them, you really, really don't need to throw it back down in a ball.
  • When knocking something on the floor, it'd be nice if you picked it back up.
  • If you make a mess you can't clean up, please let me know so I can take care of it right away before it gets worse.
  • If the sign on the store says "closed," don't come in and say, "I flipped your sign for you!" There may be an actual reason for the "closed" sign; also, it does take me a minute to open the place after I unlock the door, so don't ask to follow me in.
  • Please don't get mad at me if I don't know if that particular shirt will shrink when you wash it. I'm sorry, I don't own and wash every single item myself.
  • If I say "hello" to you, it'd be nice if you responded with even just a smile and definitely don't say "just looking" to my hello. I wasn't about to hassle you.
  • Don't give me a nasty look when I tell YOUR child not to open the toys. This isn't actually a playroom, we're trying to sell that stuff.
  • While some may think I look young, I do actually know what I'm doing and you don't need to look for the older employee to validate you.
  • If you ask me what time I close and that time was five minutes ago, please take that as a hint that I'd like to go home now, its been a long day.
Rereading these, I sound a little b-wordy, but believe me, I could come up with TONS more. I'll refrain myself though.

3 comments:

Kare said...

amen!!! I feel the same way!!!! good thing you have them now for a little while...give me a break!

angie said...

oh my gosh, customer service: PAINFUL! on behalf of all tourists, i'd like to apologize. i like to hope i'd never do these things, but your blog is a good reminder to be very conscientious! (wow, hard to spell. didn't get it right. you know what i mean.)
so, since i can't do much for you myself, i'd like to order you to have a nice cool drink when you get home. :)

Aaron said...

I don't think you sound like a bitch. I honestly can't imagine how upsetting it would be to have someone answer my hello with "just looking". Infuriating. That will certainly teach someone to be nice.