I called the cops on someone yesterday...

So about a block and a half away from my house I was about to cross an intersection when I see a little boy running around on the sidewalk in just a diaper and t-shirt (it wasn't thaaat warm out yesterday) about to go into the road. Luckily there weren't any cars coming. I sat there for a second looking to see if I saw anyone running after him and there wasn't. I crossed the street and pulled over to the side and sat there still watching to see if there was anyone around looking for him. I didn't see anyone. By that time the little boy started to come towards my car so I got out and walked across the street towards him. I asked him where his house was and he walked up to a door and sat on the steps.

He was probably only about 2 years old and I could tell he had something mentally wrong with him. I knocked on the door and no one came. I could see inside the house and saw no one in the living room. I rang the doorbell and a woman came to the door. I asked her if this was her son and she nodded yes. I explained to her twice that he almost went into the road that cars go by on quite fast and she didn't really say much to me. Unfortunately, she seemed to have something wrong with her as well and didn't really seem to be able to talk. She did come out and pick him up and bring him inside so I went about on my way. As I drove up the street there were two women sitting in a suburban who gave me a thumbs up.

I went home and my hands were shaking and I didn't know if it was my place to call someone about it. After talking to three different people, they convinced me I should just call the police and report it, just in case something like this has happened before. So I did. I couldn't help but feel bad that maybe just this one time her son got away from her and she gets the cops called, but I don't know that. The police officer was very nice and thanked me for calling. He stopped by and talked to her (I can see their house from mine).

So just out of curiosity, was this something you would have done?

4 comments:

Claire Higgins said...

I think you definitely did the right thing. Think of all the things that could have happened to this boy and the "mother" could have cared less! It really rings home that it does 'take a village' to raise a kid and you may be just what the boy needed...someone to raise a red flag to the situation. Well done, fine citizen, well done. :)

Holly. said...

Ditto to what Claire said. If you had decided to keep going and forgot about it all something terrible could have happened. Good work woman!

Heidi Marie said...

I'm with the other two, Nicole. You did the right thing. :)

angie said...

yes, yes, and YES! you did the right thing. i'm proud of you. :)