Glass Candy

So yesterday I sent out a text that said, "Happiness is driving to work on a brisk day with a hot chai latte, blaring music, and the knowledge that you're going to spend the day making candy at work." So here it is (if I only had brought a camera instead of just having my phone). The candy we made:

Boiling hot mag-ma (think austin powers) of corn syrup, sugar and water.

Once it hits 302 degrees exactly (hard crack temp) you pour it onto a buttered marble slab. Wait for it to cool the tiniest bit, and then pick the damn stuff up with your bare fingers, cut some off with scissors and then cut it into bite size pieces, all the while letting out little (and sometimes big) yelps of pain.

You drop it into powdered sugar (oh and don't forget to coat your poor little fingers in the powdered sugar before you grab onto the candy to cut it up, it really does help), dust it off, and then voila!

You get glass candy. We did this process 23 times yesterday. With 21 different flavors. Oh, and let me add, be careful not to breathe in the fumes when you add the flavoring. Some of it quite literally will take your breath away, make you cough, burn your nose, and make your eyes water (clove especially).

All in all it was a good time and fun to learn a new process. I'd do it at home if I had a marble surface, although, I'm sure there's another way to do it. But I would definitely not do it on this scale. However, here, I'd choose to do it over pricing items and doing inventory any day.

1 comments:

angie said...

this is way cool. and i have to admit, i felt happy jealousy when i got that text the other day! so glad that job isn't all idiot customers. :)