Recipe Sharing Wednesday

So this is a recipe from Rachel Ray, while I can't really stand her, I do like some of her recipes. I tried this one last week and it was really yummy. Perfect for a day like today, rainy and icky.

Chicken, Chorizo, and Tortilla Stoup

Ingredients

  • 1 pound chicken tenders
  • Salt and pepper
  • 3/4 pound chorizo sausage, in packaged meats case near kielbasa (mexican chorizo is uncooked, spanish is cured, like pepperoni, you want mexican)
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, smashed
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped (didn't use this)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped (or this, Mike wouldn't eat it then)
  • 6 small red potatoes, diced (I just used regular b/c that's all I had on hand)
  • 1 (15-ounce) can fire roasted chopped tomatoes (recommended: Muir Glen)
  • 1 (15-ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained (I used chili beans, making it taste almost like chili and black beans would be good too)
  • 2 teaspoons hot sauce (couldn't find it)
  • 1 quart chicken stock
  • 1 sack red or blue corn tortilla chips (I used Plocky's Black Bean's and Rice chips...amazing tortilla chips)
  • 2 cups shredded pepper jack or smoked Cheddar (I just used colby and jack shredded, and added a little to the soup itself to thicken it up a bit)
  • I also added a can of corn, was perfect in it.
  • Suggested garnishes: chopped scallions, chopped cilantro or fresh thyme leaves

Directions

Preheat medium soup pot over medium-high heat.

Chop tenders into bite-size pieces. Wash up, then season chicken with salt and pepper. Dice chorizo. Add extra-virgin olive oil and chicken to pot. Lightly brown chicken 2 minutes, then add the chorizo and garlic. Cook another 2 to 3 minutes, then add peppers, onions and potatoes. Cook 5 minutes, then stir in tomatoes, kidney beans, and hot sauce. Add chicken stock and bring soup to a bubble.

Preheat broiler.

Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender 10 to 12 minutes. Ladle soup into shallow bowls and top each bowl with a generous handful of crushed tortillas and cheese. Melt cheese under hot broiler. Garnish with scallions and herb.

Alright, I made a double batch of the chorizo and chicken mixture and saved half of it to put in tortillas, you must try. Put some rice and beans with it, one of my favorite meals.

With the soup, we didn't broil it and the cheese melted just fine without doing that. I also added a little sour cream to the top. We really liked it and I will probably make it again. It did have a little kick without the hot sauce, so if you don't like hot, I probably wouldn't add that too. I aslo cooked it longer than she did, to let the flavors come together more. It's actually even better the next day.

2 comments:

Kare said...

holy crap! That's a lot of stuff to put into this stoup. Not sure I'd be up for the challenge, maybe you can make it for me when I come visit you! :) I appreciate you posting it tho.

Holly. said...

Sounds delish! I think we'll try it - but without the hot sauce. I'm sure you can about imagine wht Gary would have to say about hot sauce.