Recipe Sharing Wednesday

These muffins are absolute staples in our house. It's a bad start to a morning if there aren't some of these around. They taste wonderful with a chai latte during the drive to work. You make a big batch of them and store them in a container in the fridge. An ice cream bucket works great. You can then take them out at any time and make however many you want. I will admit, it kinda freaked me out at first that the batter can be used for an entire month. I've been making them for awhile now and we're still alive.

Magic Bran Muffins

6 Cups Raisin Bran Cereal
5 Cups flour
3 Cups sugar
5 tsp baking soda
4 eggs, beaten
2 tsp salt
4 Cups buttermilk
1 Cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 Cups raisins (we always use craisins, love the little bite of tartness)

Combine flour, sugar, cereal, soda and salt in a large bowl. Mix well. Combine buttermilk, oil, and eggs in a separate bowl. Whisk well. Pour egg mixture into cereal mixture. Stir until just blended. Fold in craisins. Place in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator overnight. The batter will keep for four weeks and improves over time. Do not stir at anytime after refrigerating or when preparing to bake muffins.

Preheat oven to 400. Grease muffin cups. Spoon batter into pans (fill them up). Bake 18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in muffin tins 10 minutes. Serve warm or remove to a wire rack and cool completely. Makes 4 dozen.

Alright, boo. I have pictures, but apparently Mike updated his computer and they've gone missing for the time being. I know they are still around somewhere but I can't find them...I'll post when Mike leads me in the right direction.

3 comments:

Holly. said...

I want to see a picture. These seem somewhat healthy. Full of fiber?

Nicole said...

That's what I try and tell myself too....they have fiber, raisins, and craisins in them! They've got to be good for me...right? Right? Nevermind the quart of buttermilk...we use the lowfat kind anyways ;)

Holly. said...

I FINALLY got around to mixing these up. Not sure if I will bake some tomorrow morning or wait until Tuesday morning. We have some "breakfast" leftovers that have to get eaten up. I'll let you know what I think! I made my own buttermilk. I usually do...regular milk with some lemon juice....